Voice 4 Society is a youth mentoring organization who champion literacy, among many other things. I’ve had the joy of donating books as prizes in their last 2 writing contests as well as promoting the contests. It’s not just about winning though. Expressing ourselves through language is empowering and can heal. As a writer I want to encourage more people to read and write.
Recently they unveiled the Voice4Society Blog Award to celebrate and recognize those who support youth. Impower You was awarded along with two other talented bloggers. It’s such an amazing feeling to be celebrated for using my writing to empower others with useful skills and resources. I am honored to share with you their award which you see here: voice4society.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/the-voice4society-blog-award-winter-winners
Part of the award is sharing 5 ways I will make a “difference in this generation, my community, and the world.” Where to start?
One: I have created a book series about people creating positive change called “Up To You” and am currently working on the 3rd book. Each interviewee is selected based on how they are standing up in their communities and being the change they want to see.
Two: I teach free self defense classes and have already taught 200 women and girls since 2012. As someone who faced violence in my youth it’s important for me to know how to defend myself and being able to teach that to others is very fulfilling.
Three: I vote, contact my political representatives, and stay informed about local and national issues because living in a community means being involved and creating the change I want to see.
Four: I make it a point to talk to the youth in my life about important issues and encourage them to get involved in creating a healthy life for them and their peers.
Five: Since college I have been volunteering regularly. I will continue to give my time to protecting our environment and supporting social initiatives that give people a hand up in my community.
The last part of the award is to nominate 10 blogs. These bloggers aren’t just writing, they are working towards a world of equality and peace for all. Please visit at least 2 and learn something new! You might even find something worth investing in, like the Philadelphia Youth Project or the Mean Girl Extinction Project.
1. Philadelphia Youth Project is engaging, encouraging, and educating our youth. philadelphiayouthproject.org
2. Self Love Warrior offers a community of daily self love actions. selflovewarrior.com
3. Marinagraphy is empowering girls and women with information. marinagraphy.com
4. Walking With the Alligators speaks for animal rights and conservation. walkingwiththealligators.wordpress.com
5. The Human Experience Blog is redefining the queer experience. thehumanexperienceblog.com
6. Jane Claypool is wisdom notes from a New Thought Author and Teacher. janeclaypool.com
7. Spark: Igniting Global Change. sparksf.wordpress.com
8. The Mean Girl Extinction Project is combating “mean girls” one bully at a time. the-mean-girl-extinction-project.com
9. Life out of the Box. lifeoutofthebox.com
10. Helping Women Helps the World. hwhtw.wordpress.com
Is There a Blog or Website That Inspires You? Share it Below in a Comment!
*The ads on this site are here because I haven’t paid extra money. not because I support the product or service.*